Under general direction, is responsible for leading and implementing arts and culture marketing, communications and public relations strategies for the Department of Arts & Culture. Develops and implements marketing campaigns and strategic initiatives for the department. Exercises functional supervision over assigned staff.
This position is an "unclassified" position and has no disciplinary appeal rights to the Municipal Civil Service Commission. This position is likewise subject to at-will employment status and can be terminated at any time for any reason.
Essential Job Functions
- Responsible for managing and guiding the organization through an overall strategic branding plan implementation. Serving as the strategic brand steward. Develops and implements public and media relation campaigns to increase visibility of the arts.
- Management of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations plan, establishing priorities, timeline and budget. Develops marketing strategies to increase media coverage.
- Serve as the primary point of contact for managing external agency contracts, relationships, processes and work product. Manage contracts and professional services that are related to marketing, outreach, Public Relations, and branding services. Responsible for monitoring the annual division budget and coordinating payments to vendors.
- Develops and implements marketing strategies for the divisions of the Department of Arts & Culture including Public Art San Antonio, Cultural Events & Exhibits, Film San Antonio and Arts Funding Leadership. Developing and implementing short- and long-term communications goals, strategies, deliverables, and performance metrics.
- Helps develop new audiences by spearheading outreach efforts, developing and promoting events and activities presented by the department and arts agencies in San Antonio.
- Works with graphic design and branding professionals to ensure consistency of style. Conceptualize, create and oversee the production and distribution of all promotional and institutional materials.
- Ensure consistent use of all print and electronic materials such as letterhead, use of logo and brochures; update style guide as necessary. Ensure that the information on the website is an accurate representation of the organization, current and updated as necessary.
- Evaluate effectiveness of marketing efforts and regularly report progress. Prepares necessary reports of division's activities, to include website activity, social and digital
- Oversees special projects and applicable information technology issues.
- Utilize excellent customer service skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships. Supervise, train, and evaluate staff.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the fields of marketing, communications and public relations.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- A critical thinker who can analyze data, capitalize on information, and develop and implement strategic marketing initiatives and plans.
- Outgoing and straightforward; one who shares information easily, listens as well as gives advice and respects the abilities of others.
- A collaborative leader with outstanding communication and project management skills and deep knowledge of the digital and social media landscape.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of marketing, promotions, public and media relations.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of visitor advertising and promotion.
- Knowledge of local arts and cultural organizations.
- Knowledge of supervisory and managerial procedures, techniques and methods.
- Knowledge of advertising terminology, procedures, practices and methods.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Skill in utilizing a personal computer and associated software programs.
- Ability to negotiate and administer contractual agreements.
- Ability to exercise initiative, judgment and diplomacy in all related matters.
- Ability to formulate new techniques and strategies for more efficient operation.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to make public speaking appearances.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees, management and the general public.