The University of Arizona (UA) is a place without limits—where teaching, research, service, and innovation merge to improve lives in Arizona and beyond. Established in 1885, the University of Arizona is the state’s super land-grant university enrolling over 43,000 students and produces graduates who are real world ready through its 100% Engagement initiative. Recognized as a global leader, the UA is also a leader in research, bringing more than $606 million in research investment each year, and ranking 21st among all public universities. The UA is advancing the frontiers of interdisciplinary scholarship and entrepreneurial partnerships and is a member of the Association of American Universities, the 62 leading public and private research universities. It benefits the state with an estimated economic impact of $8.3 billion annually.
Student Affairs and Enrollment Management, Academic Initiatives and Student Success (SAEM/AISS) is a division like few other in higher education today. With an integrated mission of enrollment management, student affairs, and entrepreneurial initiatives, this cutting edge division is leading campus to meet and exceed Arizona Board of Regents metrics and create a student experience that is second-to-none in residential, online, and distance education. The breadth and depth of SAEM/AISS represents a unique and far-reaching organizational model that fosters a faced paced environment and requires the ability to think quickly while simultaneously focusing on key divisional goals. Collaboration between staff, faculty, students and the community is a core tenet of our work that produces impactful initiatives with measurable results.
The opportunity to serve as the division’s first Assistant Vice President for Marketing is the perfect opportunity for a seasoned professional to join a world-class division and lead the creation of a cohesive brand strategy, advancing a culture of data driven, high impact, results oriented marketing practices. The AVP will develop and execute strategies that advance the division’s goals, with a particular emphasis on enrollment, retention, student engagement, corporate partnerships, and the student customer experience. She or he will develop teams, systems, and processes that ensure efficient and effective use of marketing resources. The AVP plays a crucial role in building the UA brand by focusing on a differentiated and compelling educational experience and working across the university to ensure alignment.
The AVP serves on the division’s Senior Leadership Team and reports to the Senior Vice President for Student Affairs, Enrollment Management & Strategic Initiatives. The position provides direct oversight for the SAEM/AISS Marketing team which serves as a full service marketing and creative agency powered by 20 staff and 5 students. Since 2011, this team has received more than 50 American Advertising Federation ADDY’s and awards from Higher Ed Marketing, Collegiate Advertising Awards and the Higher Education Awards. Additionally, the AVP will coordinate closely with the division’s stand-alone marketing units within UA Online, Campus Recreation, Residence Life, UA Bookstores, Arizona Student Unions, Think Tank, Student Engagement & Career Development, Health Promotions & Preventative Services, Arizona Student Media, and the Office of Digital Learning along with campus partners in the academic colleges and other university divisions including Marketing & Brand Management and Academic Affairs. The AVP leads the SAEM/AISS Marketing team in a manner that maximizes collaboration, the impact of marketing efforts, timely completion of deliverables, priority setting, and efficiency. It is critical that this leader also synchronizes this division’s work with that of the entire university, simultaneously leveraging and supporting the University of Arizona brand. Work may include weekend and evening hours.
Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
Duties and Responsibilities:
*Lead the creation and execution of a cohesive and differentiating brand strategy, built on a culture of data-driven, high-impact, results-oriented marketing practices, in order to meet and exceed enrollment, retention, and student engagement goals. Assess capacity and focus resources and efforts to deliver on measureable goals.
* Create a culture of collaboration among division marketers, marketers across the university, and the units that marketing supports such as undergraduate admissions, UA Online, student engagement and career development.
* Establish metrics and an accountability structure that aligns marketing activities with outcomes that support division goals. Working collaboratively with UA marketing and brand management, synchronize the division’s work with that of the entire university, simultaneously leveraging and supporting the University of Arizona brand. Provide marketing support, consultation and referral to SAEM/AISS units that do not have an in-house marketing team.
* Work in close alignment with the SAEM/AISS Director of Strategic Communications to execute an integrated internal and external strategic communications plan to advance the SAEM/AISS brand identity, broaden awareness of its programs and priorities, and increase the visibility of its initiatives across key stakeholder audiences.
* Develop marketing strategies that will allow SAEM/AISS to cultivate and enhance relationships with targeted audiences including but not limited to key divisional constituents, university partners, local and national media, prospective students, parents, and donors/friends of the division. Identify, interpret, and capitalize on marketing trends to assist senior leadership and staff in recognizing internal and external opportunities and solutions.
* Manage third party vendors, freelancers, and consultants as needed.
* Perform other duties as assigned and required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* A keen understanding of the use of content creation and digital/social media to foster brand strength.
* Excellent and effective interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills to interact with a diverse community, including strong consultative, collaborative and mediation skills.
* Strong leadership and management skills and ability to develop, manage and inspire a talented and diverse staff.
*Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, public relations or related field.
* At least 10 years of marketing experience with a demonstrated track record of increasing responsibility.
* Marketing strategic planning, project management, supervisory, and client/account management experience with the capacity to deliver projects on time and on budget.
* Experience in brand management and the use of marketing analytics to evaluate the effectiveness of marketing strategies and tactics.
* An advanced degree in Marketing, communications or a related field Higher education experience, preferably in a non-profit, university-based environment
About the University of Arizona:
As a public research university serving the diverse citizens of Arizona and beyond, the mission of the University of Arizona is to provide a comprehensive, high-quality education that engages our students in discovery through research and broad-based scholarship. We aim to empower our graduates to be leaders in solving complex societal problems. Whether in teach...ing, research, outreach or student engagement, access and quality are the defining attributes of the University of Arizona’s mission.
Bold History that Fuels the Future:
It was a bold move in 1885 to start a university in the middle of the desert. UA faculty and students have been on the cutting edge ever since.
Research that Improves the Human Condition:
From planetary science to medicine to the arts, UA research is changing the world. Being ranked #18 by the National Science Foundation doesn’t just make us great; it creates great opportunities for students. Our researchers teach. Students work alongside world-class professors to discover new knowledge and launch their own careers.
Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners, members of esteemed national academies and world-renowned experts in dozens of disciplines, our faculty brings international attention to the University, and puts us in the ranks of the top public universities in the nation.
The UA is a diverse and talented community. From astronomy to communication to entrepreneurship, our programs and our people are among the best in the country. We offer a rich and rewarding educational experience to all who choose to focus on excellence.
Outreach to the Community and the World:
As the state’s land grant university, we honor our three-fold commitment to education, research and community service. UA faculty and students share their knowledge, their time and their resources throughout the state and around the world.
Economic Impact that Benefits All:
The UA generates $530 million in research and gives the state an annual $2 billion boost. We partner with industry so that innovative ideas become thriving enterprises.